View Single Post
Old 11-01-2014, 01:30 PM   #435 (permalink)
jamesqf
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by richierocket View Post
I think we are misunderstanding each other. The whole point of this thread was for an "average" joe living in the suburbs (close to a Home Depot) and thinking that he "needs" a pick-up truck for minor tasks.
Indeed a misunderstanding, on several levels. First, that 'average' (I'm sure there's a better word) people really do live in suburbs (or worse, urbs). Second, that those were the kinds of people under discussion. Yes, I know there are plenty of deprived people who live in such places, or in 3rd/4th worlds countries, and while I may feel a good bit of pity for them, the way they live is, I think, pretty much irrelevant to discussions here.

Quote:
So he runs a couple trash cans down to the town dump once a week and hauls a few loads per year of firewood, furniture, whatever. THEN he commutes to work everyday in that same gas hog truck!
But wasn't that my argument? That using a single vehicle for driving around 1-2 people (whether it's commuting or recreation) AND hauling is often not going to be an optimal solution, whether that single vehicle is a truck, or a car oversized and overpowered enough to pull a trailer. And similarly, that there are benefits, such as redundancy, to owning two vehicles, while the costs of two reasonably-used ones can be less (often much less) than the costs of one fancy new one.

Quote:
For someone who only has one vehicle and only has "average & occasional" household loads to haul, the theme of this thread is: if you have only one vehicle, drive a car and have a trailer instead of a gas-hog pick-up truck.
Does that make sense?
If you're limiting possible solutions to the one-vehicle box, sure. I'm just saying that better solutions might be found outside that box.