View Single Post
Old 11-01-2014, 08:39 PM   #438 (permalink)
richierocket
EcoModding Lurker

Oh yes, major misunderstandings here. I believe the idea of this thread is for people like one friend of mine who had only one vehicle, a pick-up. He claimed he needed it to haul "stuff"...turns out it was all small, occasional loads. He now has a small car and a trailer. Isn't that a better than keeping the truck? (See title of this thread)

Kudos to you for finding a great solution for your requirements! I guess we'll have to disagree...

I don't consider my previous '98 Civic or current '12 Sonic "oversized and overpowered". That just seems funny to me I see people commuting alone everyday in giant 300+hp SUVs!
People with families can't get by with a 2 person Insight, as you do...
I put snow tires on my Sonic and it does fine in the snow where I live and the roads I drive on.
Not everyone has the mechanical know-how or time to maintain an older "fully depreciated" vehicle.

As I wrote earlier, there is no black and white, no one size fits all. My life situation is satisfied with a small commuter car and a trailer. I'm happy with that.

Cheers,
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Indeed a misunderstanding, on several levels. First, that 'average' (I'm sure there's a better word) people really do live in suburbs (or worse, urbs). Second, that those were the kinds of people under discussion. Yes, I know there are plenty of deprived people who live in such places, or in 3rd/4th worlds countries, and while I may feel a good bit of pity for them, the way they live is, I think, pretty much irrelevant to discussions here.

But wasn't that my argument? That using a single vehicle for driving around 1-2 people (whether it's commuting or recreation) AND hauling is often not going to be an optimal solution, whether that single vehicle is a truck, or a car oversized and overpowered enough to pull a trailer. And similarly, that there are benefits, such as redundancy, to owning two vehicles, while the costs of two reasonably-used ones can be less (often much less) than the costs of one fancy new one.

If you're limiting possible solutions to the one-vehicle box, sure. I'm just saying that better solutions might be found outside that box.