View Single Post
Old 11-02-2014, 05:13 PM   #139 (permalink)
e*clipse
Permanent Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Thanks for the offer. I could just as easily have said "If I were to get the motor mounts parts shown..." My thinking is that I should use either the VW transmission mounts for their rubber bushings, or the comparable Toyota parts. And those are sized properly for the weight and torque they will carry.

The round puck at the back seems straightforward enough. That part will incorporate a trailer hitch receiver.

The crossbar (part 52380x) at the front runs over the mount with the mounting bolts pointed down. A straight bar with the bolts pointing up into the sheet metal and tied to a 4-point roll cage would be one option. Another would be to use the stock crossbar and stand it on a T-shaped leg on the stock forward transmission mount or on a bar that runs between the rear upper shock mounts. There are some handy lightening holes available there. Or both. What do you think?

The MGR has (essentially) a single mount at the rear with two wide-spread at the front and hangs from above; while the original VW transaxle is the opposite. Too bad I can't just turn it around, upside down and backwards.
Looks like you've got it under control. One thing their design says to me is that the resultant load from the MGR's torque is a much greater factor than its weight. I would be very leary about attaching anything like this to the sheetmetal. The roll cage or the stock transmission mount seems like a good idea. If the stock VW transmission mount were used - assuming the transmission support is below the MGR - then the main loading from the torque could be in tension and buckling wouldn't be as much of a factor.

Also - polyurethane bushings are readily available for many motor mount applications. I used some that were made for a Mitsubishi Eclipse for my Yota Diesel conversion. The only problem is they are too stiff - you really feel the diesel. Anyway, they would probably be just fine for an electric motor.

Take care,

e*clipse
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to e*clipse For This Useful Post:
freebeard (11-02-2014), thingstodo (11-03-2014)