View Single Post
Old 11-03-2014, 07:41 AM   #12 (permalink)
RedDevil
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Our government is less car minded than the USA government because the people who live here are less car minded.
Our public transportation system is quite extensive and intensive (we have the highest per mile rail use in the world).
Utrecht, the city that wants to ban old diesel cars, is the biggest rail hub.
Not having a car makes more sense over here.
Depending on your situation of course.

I too doubt using a Prius as an EV would cause issues. Especially if you don't overdo it and keep the speed low in EV mode. It would void whatever warranty is on the car though.

For practicality the second gen Prius is more suitable as the rear seats fold down and the boot is not small even with the seats upright. It is more economical and a better car, though less reliable than the 3rd gen.
Planetaire did a succesful EV conversion on the 2nd gen Prius.
Budget may be a problem, prices start at €5.5 K for a 10 year old high miler.

If budget allows I can recommend the 2nd gen Insight; comparable to the 2nd gen Prius in practicality and FE but cheaper to own.
The "Consumentenbond" tested it as the most reliable smaller midsize car on sale.
It is newer; prices start at €6.5 K for a 5 year old high miler.

It is less suitable for a EV conversion then the Prius as it has the motor bolted to the crankshaft so the engine always turns over adding some drag in EV ('D'FCO) mode.
But a constant surge of EV support will reduce the fuel usage greatly anyhow.
PM me if you like to test a parallel battery pack out on my Insight

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.