View Single Post
Old 11-03-2014, 06:39 PM   #22 (permalink)
AlexanderB
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetaire View Post
The only plug-in I have seen on the gen 1 prius is the enginer kit.
For exemple this one
This system may have serious overheating problem in the dc-dc converter.
They use 48v battery and the converter have a lot of job to do, with high amperage in the low voltage side.
They have small power and not regen capability. So you cannot drive in "high" speed during a reasonnable time in ev.
Sounds like its not really worth spending a lot of money on. I plan on using my own design, so it would hopefully work better.

Quote:
On the gen 1 a good thing is that there is no boost converter between battery and the MG.
So you can push more electric power in?

Quote:
But the gen 1 can power a turtle light on the dashboard. I suppose because heating limitations.
Also for when you run out of battery, and the car has to push the engine hard to drive MG1 just to power MG2. It becomes a lot slower without 20~30kw of battery powered boost.

Quote:
The gen 2 have a boost-converter that can handle 22-25kW and peak over 30kW. This is the main power limitation in ev mode. But there is not heating problem in 100% ev mode. The maximum electric power is when using MG1, MG2 and battery, so 33+50+22kW, then in hybrid mode which everybody use.
The MG and electronic components are water cooled via an electric variable speed pump.
Interesting. On only 22-33kw its obviously not going to be very fast though, I drive a car with 44kw and 2/3 the weight, and I think it slow above 80 kmh.
Removing the engine, welding the planet gears, and also driving MG1 might add some extra power for use as an EV only.

Quote:
The speed limitation without spinning the engine is near 110 km/h. This is MG1 limitation.
Oh, thats a lot more, I though it was 90 km/h for the gen1 / gen2, and 110 for the gen3.

Quote:
Removing the engine in a prius 2 have been made but is it legal in your country ?.
That would be legal, the electric drive system is already in place and approved for road use, so no problem there.

Quote:
This society seems selling an enginer system. I don't know if the quality is good or bad.
Quote:
In Netherlands, for the gen 2 prius, you have some info here

You probably know this forum
They talked about the NicoAep system
Not yet, I'll read into it.

Quote:
Maybe you can also find old ev car like 106, kangoo and saxo ?
Those were never sold here, but I could import one from France if I wanted.. Theres a few on leboncoin.fr but most are still somewhat expensive for a car with a 90 km/h top speed and 80 km range.

They might be ideal candidates for boosting them a bit though, adding range and power after the car is been approved for road use is not so hard, and replacing the wet cell nickel batteries with lithium should reduce the weight while adding capacity and power. Even completely upgrading it to an AC motor is possible, nobody cares, as long as it passed the initial inspection once, all they check later is safety stuff (brakes, tires, lights, rust, window wipers, etc..)