View Single Post
Old 11-04-2014, 10:35 AM   #153 (permalink)
Ecky
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,515 Times in 1,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltothewolf View Post
Can you give me a link to this smoother?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
Cowmeat, I read through a few articles and threads regarding the TPS-smoothing circuit, and I'm interested. I have a feeling it would do practically nothing for me as I'm highly aware of and careful of the throttle I use, but when my wife drives, she's very abrupt with her throttle changes even on the highway, and this might help with her averages. In my Del Sol, which had extremely responsive throttle, her foot movements would regularly launch us forward at +5mph.

Awaiting your results.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
Decided to build my own throttle filter:

Click the links! Total cost to build was around $8, and I overpaid since it was radioshack. It's basically a capacitor, resistor (or variable resistor) and some wires to hook it up.

The idea behind the throttle-smoothing circuit is to build a low pass filter (like you'd put in a subwoofer) between the TPS and the ECU. The ECU then sees pedal motions as being more gradual, something like a running average position of the last half second, which is adjustable if you decide to make the a version with a variable resistor/pot like I did. It shouldn't affect AFR as that's calculated largely by the O2 sensor (what does the TPS do anyway?), but it *should* help keep the car in lean burn for those with a twitchy food, like my wife, as TPS is a large part of what is used in that calculations. Don't expect miracles.

I'm skeptical of higher cruising MPG's. That makes me leery that it might cause innacuracy in the gauge, but a lot of the great minds over on InsightCentral were talking about it a few years back and that never came up, so I suppose we'll see.