View Single Post
Old 11-05-2014, 04:02 AM   #154 (permalink)
AlexanderB
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by e*clipse View Post
I honestly don't know what Mitsubishi or Volvo use. Given the huge variety possible with electric motors and the fact that there is no standard, I would guess that it's different than Toyota's. They may be close enough however - for example most powerful AC motors are three phase. They can actually use the same controller whether they are induction motors or brushless DC motors. Of course the programming would have to be different, but the hardware can be the same. This brings up the value of open source projects - they allow/encourage adaptation and improvement.
Indeed, opensource is a good thing.

The biggest part of the problem for me is that the RDW (sorta like the DMV) have some very strict rules as to what can be used for a DIY EV conversion. In 2010, they added a requirement that the motor and controller must be EMI/EMC tested/certified *or* be from an already approved (mass produced) vehicle.

Quote:
They guy with the MR2 was using an Arduino for the brains and the Prius power module for the voltage step up/3 phase power switches.
That might actually work here, if you disguise the arduino enough so they don't realize its not the stock Prius power box doing all the work. They probably just want to write down the serial numbers on the labels of the motor/ecu, and after that point, nobody will ever care about it again, really..

Quote:
Last I saw, he was successful in getting it running. I have no idea about long term reliability.
I'll look into it, if it doesn't fail in a year or two, its probably reliable enough.