View Single Post
Old 11-05-2014, 11:30 AM   #155 (permalink)
Cyruscosmo
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by e*clipse View Post
I think it was the 3rd gen Prius. I'll dig up the Oak Ridge lab tests... There are also some impressive motors in the Highlander's front transmission and the Camry.

If you are considering building a custom case for these motors - I'm VERY interested! Please keep me in the loop on that one. I would like to make a compact double motor two output power unit, so you could use the "electronic differential" Do you have access to a CNC for that?

- e*clipse
Thank Ya for the info. That MGR at 65hp is fine for the Geo I have as a commuter car so I will start with that and learn a few things about the new controller.

My original plan around four years ago was to use the main motor out of a Prius but back then no one knew anything about it and the Toyota techs only knew what was in the book. And a controller... Ha ha... there was none except for the one in the vehicle which was all Greek to me.

A friend of mine and I worked up a set of cads for mounting the motor in a small case of it's own with a 2:1 planetary reduction. But He passed away two years ago...

The output side is a generic 6 bolt flange that would serve as a base for an adapter that could be machined to hold the flywheel of anything you wanted. Then the unit would be fitted with a plate that was machined for any bell housing you wanted and simply bolted right to the front of the transmission that was already in place in the vehicle.

We were thinking along the lines of a semi custom kit. We send you a case and adapter pieces and you go find the motor out of a Prius, planetary gears out of a C6 automatic transmission, the variable displacement pump out of a Subaru automatic transmission and put it all together.

The reasoning for the pump was that the motor would need cooling and lube for the planetary set. And the car would need the hydraulic power for steering and brake booster. The hydraulic system would keep an accumulator pressurized for use while stopped hence the variable displacement, no need to pump when the accumulator is full..

But yes I still want to do this but four years have passed and I no longer have access to a CNC of any kind. I am done building my new shop and I am buying tools as I can. Ya know anyone with a CNC?

One day soon I will have the power to rule the world!!! @&%#$ Yes we do need an evil mad scientist smiley!

Cyruscosmo