View Single Post
Old 11-05-2014, 03:36 PM   #157 (permalink)
e*clipse
Permanent Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyruscosmo View Post
Thank Ya for the info. That MGR at 65hp is fine for the Geo I have as a commuter car so I will start with that and learn a few things about the new controller.

My original plan around four years ago was to use the main motor out of a Prius but back then no one knew anything about it and the Toyota techs only knew what was in the book. And a controller... Ha ha... there was none except for the one in the vehicle which was all Greek to me.

A friend of mine and I worked up a set of cads for mounting the motor in a small case of it's own with a 2:1 planetary reduction. But He passed away two years ago...

The reasoning for the pump was that the motor would need cooling and lube for the planetary set. And the car would need the hydraulic power for steering and brake booster. The hydraulic system would keep an accumulator pressurized for use while stopped hence the variable displacement, no need to pump when the accumulator is full..

But yes I still want to do this but four years have passed and I no longer have access to a CNC of any kind. I am done building my new shop and I am buying tools as I can. Ya know anyone with a CNC?

One day soon I will have the power to rule the world!!! @&%#$ Yes we do need an evil mad scientist smiley!

Cyruscosmo
Ok here's some real info (not just my fuzzy memory)

The papers below go into amazing detail and will require many cups of coffee to help with the short-circuiting brain .... They go into testing stuff that no other testing organization gets remotely close to.

The main thing that is important here is that Toyota made a major improvement in motor technology around 2005. Most of their new hybrids use this technology; this is why I say the controller for all of them can be very similar. The paper about the development of this technology is here:
http://e-mobile.ch/pdf/2005/321.pdf

Here's the ORNL paper about the 2010 Prius:
http://info.ornl.gov/sites/publicati...s/Pub26762.pdf

For your project, it actually seems like the system Toyota developed for the Lexus 600h sedans and the Camry would be a good starting point:
SciTech Connect: Evaluation of the 2008 Lexus LS 600H Hybrid Synergy Drive System

There are others, detailing the 2004, 2007, Camry, etc. available from these links.

I know some folks w/ CNC's. It may take some interesting trades, but I may be able to get some time...

I do have solids modeling software, and CNC code generating software (and know how to use it). I do have a Bridgeport mill w/ a DRO and a Clausing lathe. I could get accurate bearing locations with the DRO. It would require some clever design, because machining it from a solid chunk would require a LOT of $$$.

Oh, regarding output splines, etc: The local driveline shop is extremely good and he just got a CNC and broaching equipment. A custom spool or output shaft is no problem here. I'll check his prices today.

- e*clipse
The Following User Says Thank You to e*clipse For This Useful Post:
Cyruscosmo (11-05-2014)