View Single Post
Old 11-07-2014, 05:22 PM   #12 (permalink)
dustyfirewalker
EcoModding Lurker

hey figured i would share some info with you since your workin on a ford.

these engines are kind of funny bc of the simple sort of electronics they used

i found this out on my own, and i share it with anyone who works on these engines:

all of the following can be removed easily with out upsetting the computer. the only thing the computer cares about is if the vacuum modules and other feed back sensors are plugged into the harness. you can remove the egr, all the crap for the air injection, all the goofy vacuum stuff (but make sure you keep vacuum going to your dash for your air vent controls), the air pump, the cat, all of it can be removed without upsetting the computer, as long as every single electrical "thing" is plugged into the harness. this really makes for alot more room in the engine bay and a lot simpler motor. its way easier to keep it clean too. i have some old pics somewhere i might show you if you want. but when i got rid of all that crap that does absolutely nothing important for performance or fuel economy i was very satisfied. probly 150 lbs all of the above parts removed. they were literally pumping in air before the cat to help burn un burned fuel, and pumping air in after the cat so that the emissions were "cleaner" or just adulterated with air to look cleaner. also look at your intake hoses and get rid of the velocity stacks between the throttle body and the air filter. they choke the engine big time with those.