View Single Post
Old 11-08-2014, 12:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
doless
EcoModding Lurker

Hey there, new and looking for tips.

Hey there, not new to driving a manual or getting good mpg, but lately it's become an obsession.

About me-broke-22 years old-college student. About 50/50 to 70/30 highway/city driving on a weekly basis.

I own a 2004 civic lx 1.7l 5 speed, 85k miles, runs and drives great.

I don't own a scan gauge but i've been tracking my mileage based on each fill up/previous odometer reading at the pump and i get anywhere from 38-41.8 mpg so far.

I occasionally hit rush hour traffic but i'm super particular about driving 60-65 on the highway, going the speed limit, shifting at low rpms (2,000rpm, not sure if that's too low...), accelerating slowly, turning the car off down long hills and bump starting it, and such.

I do notice it pulls to the right at highway speeds with a slight wobble in the steering wheel so it could need an alignment, also clinks occasionally on front right at low speeds (could be the strut), but other than that what would be the reason i'm not able to see numbers in the 45mpg range? That's my goal. The few times i got 38-39 mpg i had to speed a few times 70-78mph to get to class on time, but trying as hard as i can to hyper mile while getting caught in stop and go traffic maybe 2-3 times and only getting 41.ish seems like i could do better.

Any tips on shift points, what rpms my injectors cut out, just tips in general?

thanks