Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2014, 12:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hey there, new and looking for tips.

Hey there, not new to driving a manual or getting good mpg, but lately it's become an obsession.

About me-broke-22 years old-college student. About 50/50 to 70/30 highway/city driving on a weekly basis.

I own a 2004 civic lx 1.7l 5 speed, 85k miles, runs and drives great.

I don't own a scan gauge but i've been tracking my mileage based on each fill up/previous odometer reading at the pump and i get anywhere from 38-41.8 mpg so far.

I occasionally hit rush hour traffic but i'm super particular about driving 60-65 on the highway, going the speed limit, shifting at low rpms (2,000rpm, not sure if that's too low...), accelerating slowly, turning the car off down long hills and bump starting it, and such.

I do notice it pulls to the right at highway speeds with a slight wobble in the steering wheel so it could need an alignment, also clinks occasionally on front right at low speeds (could be the strut), but other than that what would be the reason i'm not able to see numbers in the 45mpg range? That's my goal. The few times i got 38-39 mpg i had to speed a few times 70-78mph to get to class on time, but trying as hard as i can to hyper mile while getting caught in stop and go traffic maybe 2-3 times and only getting 41.ish seems like i could do better.

Any tips on shift points, what rpms my injectors cut out, just tips in general?

thanks

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-08-2014, 02:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Chief - '06 Pontiac Grand Prix
90 day: 26.7 mpg (US)

SF1 - '12 Ford Fiesta S
90 day: 30.95 mpg (US)
Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by doless View Post
I don't own a scan gauge but i've been tracking my mileage based on each fill up/previous odometer reading at the pump and i get anywhere from 38-41.8 mpg so far.

The quickest way to improve mileage is "adjusting the nut behind the wheel" (AKA driving style) and instant feed back makes it happen quicker. Get some sort of instantaneous MPG gauge when you can afford it.

Quote:
I occasionally hit rush hour traffic but i'm super particular about driving 60-65 on the highway, going the speed limit, shifting at low rpms (2,000rpm, not sure if that's too low...), accelerating slowly, turning the car off down long hills and bump starting it, and such.
Not too slow on the acceleration moderate to quick is what you want. But do keep the RPM down 2K is a good starting point.

Quote:
I do notice it pulls to the right at highway speeds with a slight wobble in the steering wheel so it could need an alignment, also clinks occasionally on front right at low speeds (could be the strut), but other than that what would be the reason i'm not able to see numbers in the 45mpg range? That's my goal.

The pulling and vibration may be a bad tire or balance problem try moving it to the rear to see if the situation improves. If it clink on bumps may indeed be a strut but could be many things. Best not to let mechanical problems go unchecked they have a way of getting expensive fast and doesn't help FE. Are you mechanically inclined or a DIY mechanic?

Last edited by nemo; 11-08-2014 at 08:32 AM..
Old 11-08-2014, 08:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

also check

You should probably check out the RF caliper too. If it's hanging up it could cause vibration, pull to the right, poor FE, and even a clicking sound.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
2k rpm? That's race speed! If I am going for FE, I shift at 1250. But depends on your low end torque, traffic, and gearing, too.

Instant feedback is amazing. I do suggest the SGii FIRST, and as your primary- but if money is an issue, the UG is the best for SOLELY monitoring. You can search for the thread here, and see a big discussion on comparing the two.

A KS is safer, and will preserve your miles. When you key flip, you lose all the miles while your engine is winding down (plus the safety issue).

Review the tips above, even if you already have, the better you get, the more you'll say "you know, I could probably try that..."

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
Welcome to the site doless. Have you seen our 100+ hypermiling tips?
Old 11-08-2014, 10:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Appreciate it, tires are newer, so i'm suspecting an alignment (because michigan roads) or the front right brakes. While i am mechanically inclined it's getting cold outside and my mechanic is dirt cheap as well as a family friend so i'll be seeing him today to get the suspension and brakes looked at (no point getting an alignment then finding out you need other parts and needing another one).

I think i'll probably get a scan gauge on ebay, they seem to be going preowned for under 100 which is reasonable to me (even though i see it as another 3 tanks of gas hah).
Old 11-08-2014, 11:42 AM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Scangauge 2 with Xgauge OBD Scanner | eBay
Old 11-08-2014, 11:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Scangauge 2 | eBay
Old 11-08-2014, 11:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Looking at buying either one of these, this is the correct model right?
Old 11-09-2014, 09:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
Yup, correct.

You can also use the gauge to fine-tune your driving, then sell it later. But it's really worth the money - first time you have to read / reset a check-engine light, you'll be glad you have it.

Also: what mods have you done / do you have planned? With the majority of your driving being highway, there are a number of cheap (or free) and easy aero mods you can do, eg. a partial grille block.

Welcome to the forum!

Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Reply  Post New Thread