View Single Post
Old 11-08-2014, 10:53 PM   #162 (permalink)
Ecky
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,554 Posts
Some more goodies arrived. DDM tuning HID kit with low/high beams, and 2x 92mm fans - one as a replacement for one in my PC, and another for the solar panel cabin exhaust. My reading revealed that the Delta AFB0912H will start up with less voltage than just about any other fan SPCR has tested, and has an excellent power draw to airflow ratio.

The new bulbs (H4) are a drop-in replacement, but I had a terrible time getting the clips in place. The HIDs don't have an indentation in the same place the stock bulbs do, causing it to be much harder to press them (the clips) into place. I ended up pulling the bumper off to get the driver headlight out to get a good look at it. After getting a good look, I was able to mash the passenger holding clip into place without headlight removal.

Otherwise, installation was pretty simple - one wire to the battery, and a tangle of wires and boxes behind each headlight.

One new headlight installed:

Low beams vs high beams, which are magnetically actuated and work just like regular halogen low/highs: