View Single Post
Old 11-09-2014, 10:57 PM   #12 (permalink)
woodstock74
EcoModding Apprentice

TBD - '17 Toyota Corolla LE
90 day: 40.79 mpg (US)

Starship - '08 Toyota Prius
90 day: 42.34 mpg (US)
Well, that you ask...

Just aft of the front tires, there is a spot that isn't covered by underfloor panel, it's about 24" long, 12" or so wide. This is righthand side of the car, image right is just behind the front tire, at left you can see where the factory underfloor panel picks up:

So I made this to fill it:

It fits as so:

And:

I've made one for the right and one for the left. I've only installed the right hand side. When you design and work in a vacuum there are sometimes unintended consequences that are pretty obvious when you step back. So it was only after installing the right hand side that I realized the reason the Dodge didn't extend that underfloor panel all the way forward as this is the spot where any car lift will pick up...doh. So I have two choices: remove entirely or modify taking that new fact into account. Naturally I can't leave it on as it will be crushed the first time I go for an oil change (or whatever). All a bit of a shame because while all this only cost about $10 total, it took a number of days on my lunch break to shape and then laminate the panels (fiberglass in this case). Oh well! I had a sinking feeling when I was contemplating the area as it's all done with a lot of deliberation, just couldn't figure out what their design intent was. Now I know...

Last edited by woodstock74; 11-09-2014 at 11:02 PM..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to woodstock74 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (11-10-2014), BamZipPow (11-09-2014), Cd (05-26-2016), MetroMPG (11-10-2014)