View Single Post
Old 11-10-2014, 09:39 AM   #15 (permalink)
woodstock74
EcoModding Apprentice

TBD - '17 Toyota Corolla LE
90 day: 40.79 mpg (US)

Starship - '08 Toyota Prius
90 day: 42.34 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Well, it's not unprecedented: a few cars have full under-engine panels that require removal to do work like oil changes.

But of course the mechanics don't crush the panels before raising the car.

What will you do? Redesign, or removal before service?
It'll be a pain to remove each time as they're pop riveted on and the plastic they're riveted in to is not the best (the few rivets I've had to remove tend to melt the plastic, creating an very undesirable large hole, when they inevitably heat up when being drilled out). So redesign, but it means a pretty drastic redesign as I'll have to dish out a large area for the foot for the car lift to go. The question then becomes, will the modified panel even do anything and am I wasting my time even further? I'm 50/50 on this; time spent vs. potential gain. So there's a strong possibility these come off permanently and end up on the wall of shame. Unless I can come up with a solution...anyone know of a removable fastener, not unlike the removable body fasteners that are on any modern car, that are good for thin material sections? Also reliable in that they snap into place with confidence? That might be the answer. If I can easily pop these off each time then voila, job done.

And now that I think about it, I have some fasteners that I was using on my Nissan Versa, before I killed that car, still left over...and I have the day off today...time to lay on my back in the driveway contemplating this I think!
The Following User Says Thank You to woodstock74 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (11-10-2014)