View Single Post
Old 11-11-2014, 06:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Big time
EcoModding Apprentice

World oil price depends on cheaper and more efficient tractor-trailers for Fracking?

I heard that there's a huge (sometimes unfilled) demand for truck drivers because of the recently increased fracking oil production in the US.
I heard too many people must drive a semi because they can't find a decently paying job in their areas even with their (worthless) college degrees. Of course there's nothing wrong with it as any honest job is loable and dignifying.

So even tough they are building more and more pipelines they still need lots of trucks.
Fracking needs lots of water and chemicals that usually can't be transported in pipelines.

So Does world oil price ultimately depends a lot on big rigs?
Would a drivers strike destabilize the American Fracking industry?
Would a lot of (foreign) guest worker visas prevent that from happening?

Getting off politics to get back on technical stuff
Are more road trains coming?
Road train - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

AFAIK American fracked oil is light so there might not be enough nationally produced Diesel oil to power so many trucks.

Would a road train running on homegrown (and maybe also subsidized ) E85 or even M85 Methanol85 be competitive with standard semi trailers?
Methanol fuel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Of course E85 or M85 fuel consumption is much higher than in Diesel engines but maybe road-trains allow less overall consumption per payload pound allowing a break even?
Road trains also requires less (strike prone) drivers.

E85 and M85 engines are much quieter and fumes are much better smelling than those in Diesels.
Small communities in Fracking areas are already complaining of load noise and smelly Diesel fumes.

Foreign drivers in conventional road trains might suggest disaster but maybe new computer technology would help, i.e. allowing trailer wheels to steer?
Lane keeping technology might be already available as Google self driven cars in California stay within their lanes pretty well.

The Following User Says Thank You to Big time For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (11-07-2015)