View Single Post
Old 11-16-2014, 02:14 PM   #202 (permalink)
Ecky
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,554 Posts
Went out this morning to inspect the air pressure in the tires, and I found this:

Yesterday I went out for a fossil hunt with the geology department, and took my car. We pulled off the road and parked in the grass near a bridge and hiked up the river. On the way back, the professor made an unexpected detour, remembering another outcrop, and we went down a sand/dirt road that had a few rocks. I imagine rolling over a rock is what did this. Otherwise, Gaptooth performed admirably offroad, having no trouble in a spot where an Audi in our group got stuck. I'd have something to say about overinflating tires, but my tires were all down to around 42psi when I checked today, which is barely over the 38 Honda recommends in the front and well below the max sidewall of 51 I fill them to. Definitely a reminder to be gentle to high pressure tires though.

I shopped around and found I could get an RE92 mounted from Pep Boys for $125, or have Tire Rack deliver one to my door for $87. I'll probably take it to Discount for mounting, coming out to around $100.

Sorry cowmeat, I think I'll be keeping the remaining 2 Michelins I have! They'll go in the back, and I'll have two RE92's up front. Changing both rears to RE92's would probably have a negligible effect on mileage, considering the weight distribution.