Thread: Nissan Leaf
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2014, 01:51 PM   #106 (permalink)
undeRGRound
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
The Level 3 CHAdeMO EVSE units are 480V DC up to 125A. Between 44 and 62.5kW.
There it is! 480v
Assuming this is mainly a rectifier and smoothing circuitry, perhaps a 480V AC input is required. Just a guess, as I cannot find the AC input specs anywhere on the web. But the DC output specs I did find would pretty much totally use up a 240VAC/200A residential service. I have installed huge 400A residential services, which is what you would need most likely, and even bigger on commercial and industrial setups. Or shut EVERYTHING OFF to charge the Leaf
A common "size up" is the 225A 240V which would allow this, but I'm guessing you would need a big transformer to get the voltage up for the CHAdeMO. I cannot find input specs anywhere, which should be everywhere!

Plus the $16,000 U$D (or more) cost is not conducive to a residential setting
CHAdeMO website listed 50KW max DC output, an 80% charge efficiency, assuming your 62.5KW figure above is correct. Too bad the LiIon battery tech is what TPTB have allowed for EV markets, the NiMH (Chevron owned) tech is compatible with the DC Pulse Charging that the cutting edge crowd is working with

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
The losses during regen are almost entirely due to motor/charger/battery losses. I am sure the batteries can take it as fast as it is generated. Lead acid batteries benefit from a capacitor buffer, but lithium are fine. I think we will have hit peak regen for a grand total of about 1 second. Long gentle regen is what happens most of the time.
In the context of the Nissan Leaf, you may be spot on.
Using a true motor/generator, or MG Set, could boost regen outputs well above the battery's capability to absorb the wattage. THEN a Cap Bank would really pay off. Properly engineered electrical systems (read: EXPENSIVE!) can be well over 95% efficient. Think of an EV that makes a Tesla look like an econo-EV
Graphene Caps (still a few years off) would be the schiznit for that, along with NiMH batteries. William Chu (former DOE head) did a write up on existing battery tech and basically it said we need a 15x greater battery potential to make EVs as practical and cost effective as gasoline automobiles, but that was a 5x greater storage/weight ratio and a 3x greater cost ratio.

Don't take all of this as gospel, things change and I'm going from memory, over the last several years I researched this. IMO the best available EV setup (for range at least) would be the Chevy Volt due to the on board gas genny. A Nissan Leaf with an additional on board system would be even better! I'm tying a lot of future and potential improvements in to current cars, and there is a LOT of R&D and debugging to do, but you "early adopters" will be leading the way!