View Single Post
Old 11-22-2014, 12:00 AM   #219 (permalink)
Ecky
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,553 Posts
Decided to do a bit more belly pan work tonight. Added/replaced the missing passenger wheel deflector and extended the pan to be unbroken on the sides from the front bumper back to the fuel tank. I also added some angled pieces to the wheel wells to prevent wind from catching and stressing the coroplast. The suspension is able to travel up and down fully without damaging or overstressing any of my added panels.

I won't tackle any work in the rear until my hitch is done.

Only thing left to do was to make cutouts so the wheels can turn fully. I may add some more clearance later if necessary.

The coroplast doesn't seem like it's going anywhere, but I suspect that it might become brittle and crumble at the mount points eventually. I can't begin to estimate its lifespan, but probably no less than several years.

~~

I'm often in the parking lot in front of my apartment, under the car, and there's a fair amount of foot traffic. Lately people have been noticing the cord for the 12v tender and grid charger, and have been asking what kind of car it is, if it's electric, how's the fuel economy, etc., and I'm quite pleased to be raising awareness of fuel economy by talking about some of the concepts behind it with curious passers-by.

EDIT: I've also noticed that with my fumoto valve installed as it is, it contacts the plastic pan beneath it. I'm slightly concerned about the possibility of impacts, so next time I need to change the oil I'll likely try removing the spacer and adding washers of various thicknesses to get it pointed in a better direction.

Last edited by Ecky; 11-22-2014 at 04:42 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Ecky For This Useful Post:
mikeyjd (01-06-2015)