View Single Post
Old 11-23-2014, 10:07 AM   #11 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post

Cd, is that a paint sprayer? Which would you rather see? Joe Smoe pay a contractor to paint a room, Joe being able to afford the pain sprayer and paint it himself?
How were things in the 1950s when a lot of items were made in the US ? Have things really improved ? Do people really have more money than they did back then ?
If enough Joe Smoes buy a paint sprayer and do it themselves, the paint contractor goes out of business.

As far as the distribution of wealth, it seems to me that eventhough part of the money saved by buying imported goods goes back into the US economy, most likely the items purchased with those savings go to buy more things made outside the US.

And about that distribution of wealth : In regards to giving the poor in other countries a job - correct me if i'm wrong, but i would imagine that only a few people in other countries benefit financially through the use of imports, but what about the larger majority that work there a@@es off for low wages ?
Are we really helping them by buying imports, or merely helping the top few become wealthier ?

Again, correct me if i am wrong ( i didn't research this stuff like you guys did ) but I'm sure you are familiar with the Wired article on Apple using slave labor to build its' products. Is it really a good thing to support that ?
These people ( the workers ) were suicidal and they had to put up netting on the roof to keep the suicides down.

Is buying the cheaper products really worth supporting that ?

I am tying this on an Apple computer. I bought it before i knew of the slave labor. I bought it thinking it had a higher 'green' score because of its' energy consumption.
I buy everything cheap ( except this damned overpriced Apple ) - so most likely stuff made overseas.

I'm a hypocrite, yes.

I still see a problem though, and i wish there was a solution.