View Single Post
Old 11-23-2014, 02:31 PM   #13 (permalink)
jamesqf
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cd View Post
How were things in the 1950s when a lot of items were made in the US ? Have things really improved ? Do people really have more money than they did back then?
Apart from the philosophical question of whether having more money really improves quality of life (and there's research saying that beyond a certain point - about $70K IIRC) it really doesn't), I think it's pretty darned obvious that people in general really do have more money (and/or material goods) these days.

But the "Made In USA" thing is really sidestepping the issue. First, there's the Harbor Freight thing: US companies easily could have made all that stuff (pre-China) and sold it to average Joes, but they chose not to. Second, the main reason that a lot of this stuff is made in China (or other 3rd/4th world places) is that Chinese are cheaper than robots.

Quote:
If enough Joe Smoes buy a paint sprayer and do it themselves, the paint contractor goes out of business.
No, because the people disposed to hire painting contractors would do so anyway. It's Joe with the sprayer doing his painting faster than he would with brushes & rollers. As for instance my Harbor Freight engine crane: did not having one ever stop me from pulling an engine when I wanted to, or make me take the job to a mechanic? No, it just saves me from finding a shade tree or roof beam stout enough to bear the load - if I guessed right :-)

Quote:
Again, correct me if i am wrong ( i didn't research this stuff like you guys did ) but I'm sure you are familiar with the Wired article on Apple using slave labor to build its' products.
I don't think Wired has the slightest idea what slave labor really is.