View Single Post
Old 11-28-2014, 04:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlvs2run View Post
James, what have you found with your fuel trim experiment?

Long term fuel trim on mine stayed at -0.78 on a short trip today, and I'm not sure what the short trim does yet.
It seems that the fuel map calls for enrichment when you accelerate harder, such as when I am always hitting 80% engine load to accelerate to an EOC injector cutoff speed. By only running the engine for this somewhat high load accelerations, I get slightly enriched long term trim readings. Usually it is just +0.78 but sometimes it is a little higher. But in recent months, since sometime in the spring or summer, I have done a lot more steady cruising at very low RPMs in high gears, like 1300 rpms or lower in fifth at maybe 35 or 40 mph. Adding that kind of driving to my overall mix has been associated leaner longterm fuel trim, such as -0.78. Also using DFCO a lot seems to reduce or eliminate postitive longterm fuel trim readings. I still think the car burns rich at high load, but the average is leaner when combined with cruising events in which short term trims reach -10 or even -24.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
Yall getting fuel trim on a honda with an ug? I didnt think hondas let you monitor that?
Seems so. I guess the O2 and MAP sensors provide the needed data?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
I was under the impression that fuel trims were a straight reading of how much fuel was being added/taken away? Ie, my LTFT stays kinda high, around +8% meaning that it is adding 8% more fuel vs it's base parameters?...
I think that is correct.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.