View Single Post
Old 12-01-2014, 09:38 AM   #48 (permalink)
bschloop
Master EcoModder

sr185 bullet - '81 Yamaha SR185 streamliner
Team Streamliner
90 day: 96.35 mpg (US)

Sunny Colarado - '06 Chevrolet Colarado WT
90 day: 24.18 mpg (US)

cbr250s - '12 Honda cbr250
90 day: 115.29 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
The electric bike looks like one of these chassis kits from Electric Motorsport.
Native GPR-S Electric Motorcycle 72V 300A Developers Chassis with ME0709 and Alltrax AXE7234 - MOTORCYCLES
That's exactly what it is. I was talking with an associate about my motorcycle projects just after my sr185 died and he mentioned that he knew someone who was trying to get rid of an electric bike. I checked the bike out and found that it had a bad battery due to a short in the charging system. This made me think twice about it as a project due to the high price of advanced batteries, but he didn't want anything for the bike, so I decided this was my best opportunity to test a theory that's been bouncing around the back of my head for quite a while now. The theory goes like this: streamlining allows less power to go faster, but gearing to go faster causes lower acceleration efficiency especially in electric vehicles. Multi speed transmissions allow for lower gearing for acceleration efficiency and higher gearing for cruising efficiency. Therefore a multi speed transmission allows for maximization of efficiency in electric vehicles especially when streamlining is employed.
With this in mind I acquired a lead acid battery pack, and will streamline the electric bike. Then I plan to assemble the 4speed transmission out of my old sr185 into a modular unit that can be easily inserted and removed from the drive train to properly test my theory.