View Single Post
Old 12-02-2014, 01:11 AM   #228 (permalink)
Ecky
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,554 Posts
The weather was nice today so I decided to install my projectors. First step is to pull the headlights out, which requires loosening the bumper. There are four bolts that hold the headlight on, two of which are on the underside.

Next step is to bake at ~200-250f for 5-8 minutes, or however long it takes to melt the goop that holds the clear plastic on. Once the goop is soft, pry the headlight apart with a screwdriver.

The guides I read generally suggest breaking off the plastic piece that covers the bulb, but it can be unscrewed if you fully disassemble the reflector. I decided to take this route so this mod would be completely reversible.

Next step is to attach the projectors themselves. They fit in just like a normal bulb (H4) but I cut the tabs off of the "backplate" so I could rotate the projectors. It would have been unfortunate to have completely reassembled, only to find the beams were tilted 10° (which they would have been).

There's a small amount of light scatter due to the outer plastic catching the light; it's starting to yellow again and needs to be resurfaced. I could improve this by painting the reflectors black, but again, reversible is the goal. Better to fix it properly by treating the outside. The amount of scatter will definitely not be a problem for other drivers in the mean time.

Getting the projectors level.

Here's an action shot from my test drive, picking up fast food for my wife. Very clean cutoff.

Final look:

EDIT: I didn't stay parked like an *******. I was in that spot for leveling purposes.

Last edited by Ecky; 12-02-2014 at 01:22 AM..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ecky For This Useful Post:
cowmeat (12-02-2014), Insight for life (12-02-2014), littlecars (01-13-2017), mikeyjd (01-06-2015)