View Single Post
Old 12-02-2014, 09:13 AM   #230 (permalink)
Ecky
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,554 Posts
The HID kit was ~$50 from DDM Tuning, and the two projectors came out to ~$40 shipped from eBay. The projectors are what make HID bulbs safe and effective to use in this car. It's possible to get projectors for normal halogen bulbs which would probably help the Insight significantly as far as visibility goes, but wouldn't save you any juice. It's also possible to run HIDs in the stock reflector housings, though there will be a fair amount of light scattered to places you don't want, possibly blinding other drivers. At first, I just put HIDs in the reflector housings and pointed them really low but still wasn't happy with the results, though nobody ever flashed me for blinding them.

The HIDs are 35w each, as compared with the 55w of the original halogen bulbs, and put out more than twice as much light.

When putting them back together, I just heated them up, pressed them back together, and let the original goop reseal. If I have any moisture problems I'll go around the outside with some kind of sealant, or possibly bake them again, open them, and regoop them with some extra.

These too use a shutter for low beams, which is magnetically actuated. I actually ended up buying two new HID bulbs from Amazon because the projectors take a different size bulb than the reflector housing (H1 vs H4/9004) though I did give some thought to just adapting them. The HIDs I put in the reflectors used a magnet to tilt the bulb up and down to simulate high beams.

EDIT: Projectors for halogen bulbs and projectors for HIDs would be different parts, though.

Last edited by Ecky; 12-02-2014 at 09:26 AM..