View Single Post
Old 12-02-2014, 11:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
elhigh
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.5 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 50.48 mpg (US)
It appears to be the same sort of gadget as the speederaser, an "adaptive" cruise control that moves the car's set limit in accordance with local posted limits.

Like the other cruise controls on the market, I don't think this can help save fuel unless:

- you often drive in an area with aggressive tailgaters whose proximity tends to intimidate you into driving faster than you'd rather

- you often drive in an area where the social speed limit is considerably higher than the posted one

- social speed is fairly constant (not subject to pervasive clustering)

It is my experience that the car's fitted cruise control is of no use if fuel economy is one's highest priority. Someone here filed a thread describing their homebrew control that gave priority to maintaining the highest possible engine vacuum vs. speed and THAT was very effective at providing good fuel economy while keeping steady speed in a range around the setpoint. But this device, while good for helping avoid getting snagged in a speed zone, probably won't be of much more than intellectual interest in this forum.

I notice, too, that the somewhat sketchy looking webpage talks only about 2004-2006 PT Cruiser wiring, whereby I wonder whether self-loathing interferes too much with one's hypermiling skills in any case. There aren't many PT Cruisers in the Garage, the most recent entry referring to one of any kind is over a year old, the next youngest entry over two years.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.

Last edited by elhigh; 12-02-2014 at 11:21 AM..