View Single Post
Old 12-07-2014, 11:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ecky
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,515 Times in 1,555 Posts
Aerodynamic trailer design

I'm starting some sketches of my aero trailer design, and wanted some feedback.

Ideally the trailer should be approximately 7ft x 3.6ft at the front and rear, 2ft high in the front tapering to 1ft in the back. The width was selected so it could sit 1.5ft behind the car and stay roughly within the car's wind shadow. I can probably widen it to 3.75ft safely.

The trailer would sit 1.5' back from the bumper, which would allow for an approximate 45° turn. Is this enough? Going wider would slightly reduce that, while pushing the trailer further back would require that I slightly narrow it to stay within the wind shadow.

I plan to use 14" wheels, same as on the Insight, but was wondering about the rolling resistance properties of trailer tires vs something like a Potenza RE92 @ max sidewall. I don't plan to ever put more than maybe 3-400lbs in it.

How difficult would it be to source an axle of the width I'd like to use? It's possible I could repurpose a trailer that's already 3ft wide, and have recessed wheel wells, but it would take up a lot of useful floor space.

Any thoughts on the shape/design? My goal is for it to be relatively easy and cheap to build, add no frontal area and reduce Cd.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ecky For This Useful Post:
Cd (02-03-2015), UltArc (12-07-2014)