View Single Post
Old 12-08-2014, 02:26 PM   #15 (permalink)
Ecky
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,515 Times in 1,555 Posts
Much appreciated!

Here's a sketch I've made of HF's trailer with 12" wheels, as it had more complete data than the 8" version. There's still some missing data so I had to extrapolate some of the measurements.

From the front of the platform, I'd have about 33" to the bumper, which would almost allow 90° turns.

In the interests of keeping tongue weight down I would like to keep most of the weight approximately over the axle, which may necessitate moving it forward given the taper, or perhaps extending the trailer back another ~24 inches, giving a total usable area of around 40" x 72". The front looks like it should be roughly 15" above the platform which doesn't leave a lot of room for taper, but if I need to haul more I could always leave the cover off. If I extended the box forward another 12 inches it would allow for a depth of approximately 19-21" but I'd be eating into my turning radius.

What do you guys think?

~~

One thing I'm confused about:

Heavy Duty Utility Trailer - 870 Lb. Capacity
40-1/2" x 48" Small Utility Trailer - 1090 Lb. Cargo Capacity

^According to the overview, both of those trailers have the same height despite one having 8" wheels and the other having 12" wheels, but I'm skeptical. Would the trailer with the smaller wheels really have the same deck height?