View Single Post
Old 12-21-2014, 07:44 PM   #12 (permalink)
Rembrant
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecomodded View Post
Thanks for the tips and opinions, it sounds promising ,has today's Diesel been reformulated ? That's what I read , I think I'll find that link later..
when lube is needed it all will help is what i picked up.
The '98 Beetle has the ALH engine doesn't it? Same as my '03 Jetta (last year for the ALH).

As I understand it, our North American diesel used to be 56 Cetane in the old days, and is now 40. The Volkswagen ALH TDI was apparently designed to run on diesel with a Cetane of 49-51.

An experienced VW guy recently told me that he often mixes 1 cup gasoline with one gallon Kerosene, and adds that to a tank of diesel (what's a full tank?...15-17 USG).

I'm just about finished working on the old Jetta TDI I bought a few months ago and will be putting it on the road at the beginning of the new year. Since this is all pretty new stuff to me, I've been reading (a bit) on diesel fuel additives for lubricity. I picked up two bottles of diesel Power Service when it was on sale at Canadian Tire...one of the winter stuff, and the other just additive. I'm going to add 250ml to a full tank of diesel, so the two liters will last me a couple months...or less...I'm doing almost 5000 kms per month. I've just finished tuning the engine up, and ran a can of diesel purge through it, but going forward, I want to do what I can to squeeze as much life out of it as I can...and the car is already 2/3 to 3/4 worn out...lol.

Keep me posted on what you end up doing.

Rem