Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > The Unicorn Corral
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2014, 03:46 AM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Merc - '97 Mercedes V230 TD Fashion
This article reports, that at least in one person's experience, a mix of up to 90% ATF with diesel could be safe.

Quote:
Most ATFs contain some combination of additives...anti-oxidation compounds to inhibit oxidation and "boil-off"...high-temperature thickeners
ATF may be good for lubrication or cleaning, as some claim, but it appears to be not as great as diesel at burning. You'll note in the above-linked article that Mr Richard Snyder uses a cetane booster with his ATF mix. I would presume that would be to counteract some of the less desirable qualities (at least in the context of use as fuel) of ATF in the above quote.

Interestingly, these folks claim that US Army testing showed no improved lubricity from adding ATF to low sulfur diesel. Given that the bulletin was allegedly issued in 1994, before ULSD was legislated, and that dieselfuelsystems.com a) does not cite their source, and b) has a financial interest in downplaying alternative fuel additives such as ATF, I would tend to go with wikipedia on its thrice-cited claim that most ATF includes additives to improve lubricating qualities.

However, if I was to try ATF in my fuel (and I haven't yet, due to only recently hearing about it), I wouldn't do it for the cost savings or the Unicorn-friendly hope of improving lubricity. I would do it for the detergents and the hope of clearing and preventing deposits in the fuel system, a claim for which there are many testimonials extant. For this reason, I will be trying new, and not used ATF in my 1997 Mercedes (which has indirect injection and no high-pressure common rail system).

So yeah, I'm new here. I just had to chime in with a mix of facts and speculation. I will be trying ATF, along with a standard dose of cetane booster with my next tank of diesel.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to clarknova For This Useful Post:
Fat Charlie (03-22-2019), Xist (12-22-2014)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-21-2014, 07:44 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecomodded View Post
Thanks for the tips and opinions, it sounds promising ,has today's Diesel been reformulated ? That's what I read , I think I'll find that link later..
when lube is needed it all will help is what i picked up.
The '98 Beetle has the ALH engine doesn't it? Same as my '03 Jetta (last year for the ALH).

As I understand it, our North American diesel used to be 56 Cetane in the old days, and is now 40. The Volkswagen ALH TDI was apparently designed to run on diesel with a Cetane of 49-51.

An experienced VW guy recently told me that he often mixes 1 cup gasoline with one gallon Kerosene, and adds that to a tank of diesel (what's a full tank?...15-17 USG).

I'm just about finished working on the old Jetta TDI I bought a few months ago and will be putting it on the road at the beginning of the new year. Since this is all pretty new stuff to me, I've been reading (a bit) on diesel fuel additives for lubricity. I picked up two bottles of diesel Power Service when it was on sale at Canadian Tire...one of the winter stuff, and the other just additive. I'm going to add 250ml to a full tank of diesel, so the two liters will last me a couple months...or less...I'm doing almost 5000 kms per month. I've just finished tuning the engine up, and ran a can of diesel purge through it, but going forward, I want to do what I can to squeeze as much life out of it as I can...and the car is already 2/3 to 3/4 worn out...lol.

Keep me posted on what you end up doing.

Rem
Old 12-23-2014, 02:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.5 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 49.62 mpg (US)
How did this wind up here?

I don't see any significant Unicorn-like features. Mostly what I see in this thread is honest inquiry and precious little in the way of outlandish claims.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:26 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Volt, gas only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 38.02 mpg (US)

Volt, electric only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 132.26 mpg (US)

Yukon Denali Hybrid - '12 GMC Yukon Denali Hybrid
90 day: 21.48 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
How did this wind up here?

I don't see any significant Unicorn-like features. Mostly what I see in this thread is honest inquiry and precious little in the way of outlandish claims.
I would agree, considering I used an expensive fuel treatment/lubricator to help extend the life of fuel pump in my last car. This idea that fuel additives work is not Unicorn Corral material, it's fact.

Old 12-23-2014, 09:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
So, are you suggesting we call this the DYNO DUNGEON instead of UNICORN CORRAL?

Last edited by gone-ot; 12-24-2014 at 11:38 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to gone-ot For This Useful Post:
dirtydave (12-29-2014)
Old 12-24-2014, 08:55 AM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

ATF not included, but seems applicable: DIESEL FUEL LUBRICITY ADDITIVES STUDY RESULTS
Old 12-24-2014, 12:15 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Volt, gas only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 38.02 mpg (US)

Volt, electric only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 132.26 mpg (US)

Yukon Denali Hybrid - '12 GMC Yukon Denali Hybrid
90 day: 21.48 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardent View Post
ATF not included, but seems applicable: DIESEL FUEL LUBRICITY ADDITIVES STUDY RESULTS
Wow, thanks for that post!

Old 12-29-2014, 12:50 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master Novice

No, not Dyno Dungeon. But it just looks to me like this isn't really Unicorn material. It looks like honest inquiry to me. At least, a lot more like honest inquiry than the usual hydrogen-flavored snake oil that populates Unicornia.

The Following User Says Thank You to elhigh For This Useful Post:
Fat Charlie (03-22-2019)
Old 12-29-2014, 02:49 PM   #19 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
No, not Dyno Dungeon. But it just looks to me like this isn't really Unicorn material. It looks like honest inquiry to me. At least, a lot more like honest inquiry than the usual hydrogen-flavored snake oil that populates Unicornia.
...then, contact/convince Doax about moving it somewhere more appropriate.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:23 AM   #20 (permalink)
Master Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
...then, contact/convince Doax about moving it somewhere more appropriate.
Nope. I'm not entirely convinced it doesn't belong, just idly wondering whether it should. It's not enough to get excited about in any case.

Reply  Post New Thread