View Single Post
Old 07-21-2008, 04:51 PM   #34 (permalink)
metromizer
Master EcoModder

I've reupholstered two hundred or so sets of 1960's vw seats (in a past life). The slits for the tubes sound good, you could control depth with a wood block fixture and make the cuts with an electric carving knife. I would cover the tubes with cotton muslin attached with uplostery glue. It will keep the tubes where you put them, muslin is easy to work with.

Tip for getting the covers back on wrinkle free: Warm them up in your clothes dryer, cover the molder foam buns with an opened up dry cleaning bag (single layer). Attach with upholstery glue as necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dremd View Post
I have used Kool Long sleve shirts and cool helmets, that's where the Idea "seed" came from
The Kool Vest i posted a link to was on Jim Maher's site uses cool pack, but I once saw this vest with sewn in tygon tubing... maybe in the back of National Dragster, Berhendt's, Racer's Wholesale, or Speedway catalogs

I think you are onto something and can't wait to read what you come up with. My Metro doesn't have a/c but I've gotten spoiled over the years with ac in my other recent commuter cars. When it gets over 100 F I melt on the way home. It would be great to have the option to use the icemaker at work to partially fill a cooler for use in some inexpensive little system for the ride home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dremd View Post
If you want to see a terribly bad Idea, look at the early versions of the New body style 7 series BMW. The seats are heated by engine oil (electrically boosted)! Nearly every one leaked and had to be replaced under warranty (along with carpet).
OMG! talk about burning your arse, both figuratively AND literally! To add insult to injury, there's the prospect of running the engine out of oil at the same time...