Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2008, 09:55 AM   #31 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

2k2Prot5 - '02 Mazda Protege5
90 day: 33.82 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concrete View Post
Dremd is looking for bonus cooling to limit A/C, but if you are using a wet towel and No A/C...
a peltier device is a step up, even if your dumping heat to the cabin.
Or perhaps I should say - a BTU off the Butt is worth two out of the cabin
That's a good "bird in the bush" saying... I like that.

And my idea was not a wet towel, its a towel with hoses stiched into it that I can throw over the seat and run cold water though. I was considering this because it can then be useful on my leather couch (no AC in house) or a lawn chair when I'm out watching the races or something. Just a portable option.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-21-2008, 10:00 AM   #32 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
But it would be butt ugly (pun intended)
Old 07-21-2008, 10:02 AM   #33 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

2k2Prot5 - '02 Mazda Protege5
90 day: 33.82 mpg (US)
Oh for SURE it will be ugly. Especially since the GF wouldn't let me use any of the good towels, it'll be some ratty old beach-stained thing with threads hanging off. But at least its only on the seat when I care more about the sweat running down my ___ than the looks of my seats.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:51 PM   #34 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I've reupholstered two hundred or so sets of 1960's vw seats (in a past life). The slits for the tubes sound good, you could control depth with a wood block fixture and make the cuts with an electric carving knife. I would cover the tubes with cotton muslin attached with uplostery glue. It will keep the tubes where you put them, muslin is easy to work with.

Tip for getting the covers back on wrinkle free: Warm them up in your clothes dryer, cover the molder foam buns with an opened up dry cleaning bag (single layer). Attach with upholstery glue as necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dremd View Post
I have used Kool Long sleve shirts and cool helmets, that's where the Idea "seed" came from
The Kool Vest i posted a link to was on Jim Maher's site uses cool pack, but I once saw this vest with sewn in tygon tubing... maybe in the back of National Dragster, Berhendt's, Racer's Wholesale, or Speedway catalogs

I think you are onto something and can't wait to read what you come up with. My Metro doesn't have a/c but I've gotten spoiled over the years with ac in my other recent commuter cars. When it gets over 100 F I melt on the way home. It would be great to have the option to use the icemaker at work to partially fill a cooler for use in some inexpensive little system for the ride home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dremd View Post
If you want to see a terribly bad Idea, look at the early versions of the New body style 7 series BMW. The seats are heated by engine oil (electrically boosted)! Nearly every one leaked and had to be replaced under warranty (along with carpet).
OMG! talk about burning your arse, both figuratively AND literally! To add insult to injury, there's the prospect of running the engine out of oil at the same time...
Old 07-21-2008, 10:20 PM   #35 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
Sub... scribed. Eager to see where this goes.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 07-21-2008, 11:25 PM   #36 (permalink)
Sequential

The Truck - '00 Chevy S10 Extended Cab
90 day: 22.47 mpg (US)
Matt,
sorry about the misunderstanding.
I had not thought about the lawn chair - that is a great idea
I could even make this seat cover i have on order into a basic cool towel... with a plug in .
your right on the aesthetics though - who cares about what it looks like if the offended are sweating and you are... well... cooool.
but if it is bolted/glued into the car I understand Dremd's desire to make it nice.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:30 AM   #37 (permalink)
What? THIS IS MY GOOD CAR

The Japillac - '87 Honda Accord LXi Sedan
90 day: 31.77 mpg (US)

Ranchero GT - '73 Ford Ranchero GT

Spaz - '83 Chevy S10 4X4 Tahoe
90 day: 27.53 mpg (US)
Send a message via ICQ to justpassntime
Is it Wednesday yet? If my car looks like crap I might as well have a cool seat!

I like the towel idea. But Matt, if she won't let you use the good towels put a black vinyl seat on her side. I'm betting after one hot summers day sit down, she will let you have every towel in the house!

Old 07-22-2008, 01:12 PM   #38 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Any concerns about ambient cabin humidity condensing on the cold tubes? Could make for a damp a$$ on the ride home.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:35 PM   #39 (permalink)
EV OR DIESEL

FarFarfrumpumpen - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS Premium

Quorra - '12 Tesla Model S P85
Send a message via AIM to dremd
Quote:
Originally Posted by metromizer View Post
I've reupholstered two hundred or so sets of 1960's vw seats (in a past life). The slits for the tubes sound good, you could control depth with a wood block fixture and make the cuts with an electric carving knife. I would cover the tubes with cotton muslin attached with uplostery glue. It will keep the tubes where you put them, muslin is easy to work with.
Any reason for the Muslin over gluing the tubes direct to the foam? (Probably are)

Quote:
Tip for getting the covers back on wrinkle free: Warm them up in your clothes dryer, cover the molder foam buns with an opened up dry cleaning bag (single layer). Attach with upholstery glue as necessary.
Thanks; the covers are surprisingly easy on the MKIV; I did mess up more than 1 aircooled VW seat though . . .

Quote:
The Kool Vest i posted a link to was on Jim Maher's site uses cool pack, but I once saw this vest with sewn in tygon tubing... maybe in the back of National Dragster, Berhendt's, Racer's Wholesale, or Speedway catalogs
They are fairly popular now. I've worn one at a track day before (borrowed). Some football players wear them, most NASCAR etc.
Infact I saw a show on discovery where they were manufaturing them. LOOKED like my blue silicone tubing.

What is Tygon Tubing?

Quote:
I think you are onto something and can't wait to read what you come up with. My Metro doesn't have a/c but I've gotten spoiled over the years with ac in my other recent commuter cars. When it gets over 100 F I melt on the way home. It would be great to have the option to use the icemaker at work to partially fill a cooler for use in some inexpensive little system for the ride home.
Thank you; I can't wait either!

Quote:
OMG! talk about burning your arse, both figuratively AND literally! To add insult to injury, there's the prospect of running the engine out of oil at the same time...
Oh man did bmw techs hate/ love changing all of them out. Sad part is they still work the same way; just better heat exchanger.
Gone 2013 Nissan LEAF SV
2012 Nissan LEAF SV
6 speed ALH TDI Swapped in to a 2003 Jetta Wagon
Old 07-22-2008, 03:18 PM   #40 (permalink)
EV OR DIESEL

FarFarfrumpumpen - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS Premium

Quorra - '12 Tesla Model S P85
Send a message via AIM to dremd
Quote:
Originally Posted by garys_1k View Post
Any concerns about ambient cabin humidity condensing on the cold tubes? Could make for a damp a$$ on the ride home.
No; I hadn't thought of condensation; however now that I do I'm guessing that the condensations will be less in volume and cleaner in nature than the amount of sweat I would otherwise produce.

Gone 2013 Nissan LEAF SV
2012 Nissan LEAF SV
6 speed ALH TDI Swapped in to a 2003 Jetta Wagon
Reply  Post New Thread