View Single Post
Old 12-29-2014, 01:45 PM   #41 (permalink)
Miller88
Master EcoModder

XJ Cherokee - '00 Jeep Cherokee Sport
90 day: 12.96 mpg (US)

FoFO - '11 Ford Focus SE
90 day: 36.78 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim View Post
I read about changing Thermostats a lot here and other boards. Other forums (truck, car) always saying to people who are having overheat issues to put in 180f thermostats in place of the factory thermostats with higher rating not realizing most modern fuel injected cars are designed around a 200-215f operating temp. Sometimes a lower temp thermostat actually will let the coolant move too fast and not shed heat in the radiator making them actually run hotter, common problem when taking the thermostat out completely. I often wonder how many cars are failing to stay in closed loop from this.
On a lot of Jeep sites, people have overheating issues with their Cherokee and the first thing they do is remove the Thermostat. It slows down the process ... but it will ,eventually, overheat again. Or, they don't realize that some engines (the 4.0 Jeep is one) are designed to run at 210. Then, they complain about poor gas mileage ...

Mine runs between 200 and 210 all the time (195* thermostat). It will occasionally get up to 220 or so if it's ~100 out and I have the AC on and am creeping in the traffic ... or really beating on it on a trail on a hot day. I can override the electric fan and kick it on manually - in addition to the mechanical fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa8907 View Post
I know its apples to oranges, but a lot of cars wont even turn the fans on until 210-215 degrees.

My old car would happily run between 200 and 220
One of the joys of modern engine controls, electric fans is that we can run an engine at these temperatures all the time - even in the summer. The Focus runs right a 180 pretty much all the time, maybe 185 or 190 in the summer. Only time I have noticed it kick the fans on when the AC wasn't on (default) is when the lower grille plugged up in a snowstorm and I got it to 230. If I could find any data for when the fans kicked on I'd be more comfortable going to a warmer temperature.