Thread: Nissan Leaf
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2015, 11:44 PM   #225 (permalink)
P-hack
Master EcoModder

awesomer - '04 Toyota prius
ran a bunch of errands today and except where it was extra slippery I treated the throttle/shifter like an on-off switch with heavy acceleration, only turning on the climate control to defrost occasionally, but with long neutral glides and little braking. got about 3.3 mi/kwh ($0.03/mile). It glides pretty well, heavy and tires pumped up, but it doesn't pick up speed on its own in neutral going downhill like an econobox, I think the 8:1 gearing and motor inertia (and magnets) keep gravity from accelerating it like I'm used to. It is fun to P&G it though, the pulses are a lot shorter (faster) and the glides a lot longer. I was often well over the limit before I realized it. Were I able to time the lights better and keep it moving (and out of the slush) I'm sure it would do much better than 3.3mi/kwh ( epa rated for 2.94 miles-per-kWh). I would entertain a higher gear ratio, as it shouldn't really effect range and I don't need 93mph, it would be a lot quicker yet with a 11:1 ratio and still be reasonably efficient at regular hiway speeds around here (though the wheels may already be close to the traction limit).

Oh, and I'm getting the hang of the electronic parking brake (as turning assist), managed a few 180s in the snow while navigating parking lots without hitting anything. You have to account for like a 2 second delay :/ (It reminds me of flappy bird for some reason), have not yet got the timing down good enough to drift a corner yet.

Last edited by P-hack; 01-06-2015 at 11:58 PM..