Thread: Nissan Leaf
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2015, 02:43 AM   #226 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,378 Times in 3,353 Posts
*The numbers I have quoted in this thread for vehicle cost of ownership reflect my driving habits and costs. You may input your own numbers into the spreadsheet to calculate costs that would be relevant to you. All of the values can be modified, and the results are auto-calculated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
Okay, wear and tear on the tires is included; that's good to know. Though even if you change your own oil and do your own maintenance, wouldn't it cost more than $75 per year?
I estimated $75/year for repairs and maintenance for me if I owned the Leaf. My estimate on the TSX for maintenance and repairs is $150/year based on my past 5 years of ownership, having only spent money on 5 oil changes and 1 set of wiper blades.

In my 8 years of ownership of a '96 Subaru Legacy, my only costs were 2 sets of tires (one set of 4 new tires was only $80 mounted, balanced, and warrantied, the other set were snow tires given to me), a clutch, flywheel, and throw-out bearing (bought it with a bad clutch and replaced myself), and $40/year in oil changes at Jiffy Lube. Oh, and a side window from a thief doing a smash and grab - $80. I repaired the door lock myself from the thief attempting to punch it out. It was fixed by putting the key in the tumbler and grinding the pins flush with the tumbler on a bench grinder. Of course, I ignored the P0420 CEL about my catalytic converter efficiency being below threshold.

Most people can't keep their maintenance and repair bills this low, so that's why I suggest running your own numbers. AAA says the average driver pays $0.0497 per mile in maintenance and repairs. It also says the average driver pays almost $0.60 per mile when all costs are accounted for.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!