Thread: Nissan Leaf
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2015, 08:49 AM   #228 (permalink)
P-hack
Master EcoModder

awesomer - '04 Toyota prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
I pay $0.14 / kWh for electricity so that would be $0.042/ mile
You are cooking the books by including service charges/fees in that number, unless you were off grid and had to go on-grid to get an EV. It is far more predictive and genuine to keep them separate. Otherwise it is just nonsense, if an EV doubles your usage, THEN what is your cost/kwh?!? See what I mean? With your oversimplified approach the more you use the less it costs (and is that really the spin you want to put on it?). I'm not saying do it because of feel-goodery, I'm saying it because it is far more accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
Isn't PnG worse for energy efficiency with an electric vehicle? High load creates more waste heat in an electric motor than low loads especially at take off.
Most folks seem to think it is good for ~%10 in an EV (perhaps coincidentally I was %12 above EPA yesterday). Also P&G is rather low duty cycle in this (accelerates fast, and glides good). I posted a "bsfc" chart which tells much of the story, plus it is direct drive so it is easy to extrapolate to mph. Try to avoid dead stops, and unnecessary braking, but no reason to be shy of the accelerator if you can glide it out it seems.

Last edited by P-hack; 01-07-2015 at 09:15 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to P-hack For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (01-07-2015)