View Single Post
Old 01-09-2015, 01:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Yes, there's snow tires on the Prius right now, on steel rims, but I don't have the hub caps on it. It got so cold and snowy right after I put the snow tires on that I didn't want to put the hub caps on over all the ice/snow/salt gunk, at least not until it warms up enough to wash the rims.

The hub caps I have are the cheapest most aerodynamic ones I could find on the clearance bin at the auto parts store last winter.

I have no idea how much heat is created in the rubber of the tires on a snow tire vs an all-season radial! I do know that the snow-tires are a softer rubber and that they keep the car on the road better.

Also, just so you know, the range of temperatures in the first photo is about 35 degrees Fahrenheit and the range of temperatures shown in the block heater photo is about 20 degrees. For example, a very bright orange in one photo may be 5 degrees, but that doesn't mean very bright orange is 5 degrees in another photo. It's relative, similar to auto-iris on a standard video camera.

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos
The Following User Says Thank You to bennelson For This Useful Post:
aerohead (02-26-2015)