Thread: Aero rear angle
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2015, 04:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
any other way

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
I wasn't aware there was any other way to do this than Navier-Stokes in 3d? I am an algebra guy so I have no idea how PDEs work nor do I know how this kind of stuff is implemented, but to do an optimization where the algorithm figures out a shape that works would be like running the model millions of times. If you made changes and then gave the data to someone else to modify, that would be the same as what people are doing now wouldn't it?

Seems like some of the millions going to wind tunnels should be funnelled towards research grants for figuring out a better implementation of the numerical solution to Navier-Stokes! 10 million dollars is good for like, 20 postdocs + faculty advising for 5 years. Between Toyota, Honda, Ford, Ferrari, GM, etc. + Boeing, Lockheed, etc. I bet they wouldn't have any trouble coughing up at least several times that number, and considering the cost of wind tunnel testing, I bet it would pay off.
One of the more recent Master's Thesis which employed CFD mentioned 3- programs other than the full-blown Navier-Stokes.
His output was 13% different than the empirical wind tunnel numbers and in his concluding remarks criticizes his own data.
In 1985,Hucho mentions in his 2nd-edition that they had just recently been able to do the full numerical work of the N-S Equation.
As computers gain speed and capacity this work may make it to a desktop environment.
As a lame duck president,Obama might use his resources to push for a 'moonshot' in computer processing.I'd be happy to pay some taxes for that.