View Single Post
Old 01-12-2015, 09:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Brit
Suzuki Metro Geo Swift

(Not)Swift - '02 Suzuki Swift GLS
Suzuki Geo Swift Metro

'Ello, I'm Brit, guess where I live.

Since September 2013 I have been driving a 2002 Suzuki Swift GLS with the 54bhp, 993cc 3-cylinder engine. Being a GLS specification car I've got all sorts of toys; front fog lights, body coloured bumpers, PAS, bucket seats and a roof spoiler.

In January of 2014 I started tracking my fuel economy and the eco driving and modifications world has become more and more interesting to me. In the initial months I was a bit lax about taking note of all the relevant info so there are some gaps but I have become much more disciplined about it, I'll post a screenshot of my findings and a couple of photos of the car in this thread when my post count is high enough.

For now I will say that my lowest tank was 45.46 MPG (37.85 US), my highest 56.78 MPG (47.27 US) and my average is currently 50.003 MPG (41.63 US), 0.003 of a mile being 4.8 meters. ACCURACY! Suzuki say that combined I should get 53 MPG however I drive with my headlights on for safeties sake.

I am currently at a bit of a crossroads with the car; I don't much like it to be brutally honest mainly because I owned a Volkswagen before it so the quality difference is extremely noticeable. The car generally is in good condition but the low quality materials means that there are loads of little bits and pieces that are broken which annoys me so I have to decide whether I want to stick with the car and just throw a bunch of time & money at it fixing all the little bits and pieces or selling it and getting something better.

If I stick with the car I think I will make little tweaks to improve the fuel efficiency while maintaining the day to day usability of carrying multiple passengers but I would only like to make changes that can be reversed when it comes time to sell up as I get itchy feet with cars easily. Any suggestions on what I could do with that in mind would be appreciated. I'm thinking DRL's first so I don't have to use my headlights so much, some flat wheel trims (maybe over lighter alloy wheels?), rear wheel skirts and maybe do something with the spoiler - I don't want to change the entire tailgate because that would be a colossal pain in the butt so I'm going to have to consider my options.

Last edited by Brit; 01-12-2015 at 10:01 PM..