Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2015, 09:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Suzuki Metro Geo Swift

(Not)Swift - '02 Suzuki Swift GLS
Suzuki Geo Swift Metro

'Ello, I'm Brit, guess where I live.

Since September 2013 I have been driving a 2002 Suzuki Swift GLS with the 54bhp, 993cc 3-cylinder engine. Being a GLS specification car I've got all sorts of toys; front fog lights, body coloured bumpers, PAS, bucket seats and a roof spoiler.

In January of 2014 I started tracking my fuel economy and the eco driving and modifications world has become more and more interesting to me. In the initial months I was a bit lax about taking note of all the relevant info so there are some gaps but I have become much more disciplined about it, I'll post a screenshot of my findings and a couple of photos of the car in this thread when my post count is high enough.

For now I will say that my lowest tank was 45.46 MPG (37.85 US), my highest 56.78 MPG (47.27 US) and my average is currently 50.003 MPG (41.63 US), 0.003 of a mile being 4.8 meters. ACCURACY! Suzuki say that combined I should get 53 MPG however I drive with my headlights on for safeties sake.

I am currently at a bit of a crossroads with the car; I don't much like it to be brutally honest mainly because I owned a Volkswagen before it so the quality difference is extremely noticeable. The car generally is in good condition but the low quality materials means that there are loads of little bits and pieces that are broken which annoys me so I have to decide whether I want to stick with the car and just throw a bunch of time & money at it fixing all the little bits and pieces or selling it and getting something better.

If I stick with the car I think I will make little tweaks to improve the fuel efficiency while maintaining the day to day usability of carrying multiple passengers but I would only like to make changes that can be reversed when it comes time to sell up as I get itchy feet with cars easily. Any suggestions on what I could do with that in mind would be appreciated. I'm thinking DRL's first so I don't have to use my headlights so much, some flat wheel trims (maybe over lighter alloy wheels?), rear wheel skirts and maybe do something with the spoiler - I don't want to change the entire tailgate because that would be a colossal pain in the butt so I'm going to have to consider my options.

Last edited by Brit; 01-12-2015 at 10:01 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-13-2015, 12:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Beating EPA Unmodded

Blue Eagle - '10 Honda Civic LX
Team Honda
90 day: 31.12 mpg (US)
Welcome aboard! I personally wouldn't sell the car, since buying a new car would be a major doodad, since not too many cars can match the ole' 3 banger engine in the Swift. If you think that the ride in it is uncomfortable, so what? If it gets you from point A to point B, then it's doing its job, and as long as you're not sitting in traffic all day, then you don't really need your car to be comfortable IMHO.

As for the mods, definitely get lower powered DRLs. Personally I drive with my lights off except at night or when they are needed. In my experience, driving with headlights on during daytime doesn't do too much good unless it's cloudy, but otherwise, they are just a distraction to other drivers. But that's just my opinion.

Old 01-13-2015, 09:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Suzuki Metro Geo Swift

Quote:
Originally Posted by awcook View Post
Welcome aboard! I personally wouldn't sell the car, since buying a new car would be a major doodad, since not too many cars can match the ole' 3 banger engine in the Swift. If you think that the ride in it is uncomfortable, so what? If it gets you from point A to point B, then it's doing its job, and as long as you're not sitting in traffic all day, then you don't really need your car to be comfortable IMHO.

As for the mods, definitely get lower powered DRLs. Personally I drive with my lights off except at night or when they are needed. In my experience, driving with headlights on during daytime doesn't do too much good unless it's cloudy, but otherwise, they are just a distraction to other drivers. But that's just my opinion.
Ideally I would buy a replacement before finalising the sale of the Swift so it wouldn't be too much of an ordeal really. The Swift also hurts my lower back after about 75 miles so it's time with me is limited regardless. I always have an eye on the used car market in my local area, if a nice Peugeot 106 or Citroen Saxo 1.5D came up for sale I would probably snap it up in favour of the Swift as they can't be any worse than the Swift and standard they appear to average a good 9-10 MPG more before modifications.

I can't say that I have noticed any ill effects from using headlights during the day other than slightly increased fuel consumption, if anything I think I get cut-up less often. DRLs would solve any issue like that anyway but having had a look at the front my car I'm not entirely sure where I could actually mount them! The obvious place would be hung upside down from the opening in the bumper but that space is covered by the registration plate on these cars and I think the bottom of the opening would be too low.

What I really hope to do at some point is find a Citroen AX diesel and do some more serious modifications as they can average near 70 MPG with no mods so I'm very curious to find out what they could do with no interior, perspex windows and aero mods etc.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
It's funny to see someone driving a 2002 car with a bodystyle that was last sold here in 1994.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brit View Post
I am currently at a bit of a crossroads with the car; I don't much like it to be brutally honest mainly because I owned a Volkswagen before it so the quality difference is extremely noticeable
Which VW was that? Don't forget that Suzi was designed way back in 1988!

Quote:
selling it and getting something better.
With the plethora of small, efficient cars that you have available (which we don't get), I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to keep an eye out for something that catches your interest.

Quote:
(maybe over lighter alloy wheels?), rear wheel skirts and maybe do something with the spoiler
As mentioned in the other thread, I'd ditch the spoiler. Yes, add smooth wheel covers (lighter alloys are not cost effective).

Also consider a fuel consumption gauge, if you haven't got one.

In town driving, the #1 modification that will save you fuel is an engine kill switch. For manual "auto stop/start" and engine-off coasting when safe.

Welcome to the forum!
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 01-13-2015, 06:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Mistress - '88 Bmw 320i Touring SE
Team m8
Last 3: 27.17 mpg (US)

Germany Beadle - '91 Mercedes 300td (estate, N/A)
90 day: 24.63 mpg (US)

The Bloodylingo - '05 Citroen Berlingo Multispace Desire
90 day: 39.77 mpg (US)

Shanner Scaab - '03 Saab 9-5 estate Vector
90 day: 26.19 mpg (US)

Clio 182 - '05 Renault Clio RS 182 182
90 day: 31.73 mpg (US)
Welcome, its a slippery slope

US MPG for my Renault Clio 182

---------------------------------------------------
Old 01-13-2015, 07:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Suzuki Metro Geo Swift

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
It's funny to see someone driving a 2002 car with a bodystyle that was last sold here in 1994.
If you think that's funny you should take a look at the ones in Pakistan under the Suzuki Cultus nameplate, they are still making and selling them over there! They come with a single-cam, 16 valve, EFI equipped 4-cylinder.

Quote:
Which VW was that? Don't forget that Suzi was designed way back in 1988!
In truth I had two VW's before this and while the Suzuki may have been designed back in 1988 the two VW Polo's I had were based on a platform that was released in 1981 so they could well have started development in the late 70's...

It's little things that made the VW's nicer than the Suzuki; the materials are high quality so silly bits of trim don't break and/or fall off. For example the drivers side window on my Swift has two bits of broken trim; the little tab thing that sticks out and the locating tab in the very top corner are both broken. The later causes the window not to sit in the right spot when it's up so if I don't get the window into exactly the right place the wind makes a noise through it. The window comes out of the track sometimes too. Also the VWs were noticeably quieter at speed in terms of road noise.

Quote:
With the plethora of small, efficient cars that you have available (which we don't get), I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to keep an eye out for something that catches your interest.
Exactly, getting a car here that does 50 MPG (41.6 US) for cheap is very easy, my Swift was spare change over $1,000 with 46k miles and two local previous owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320touring View Post
Welcome, its a slippery slope
Good, we can coast down slopes
Old 01-14-2015, 08:44 AM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,554 Posts
Welcome to the site Brit.

I agree with what the others have said. In the mean time I'd do as MetroMPG suggests and get some instrumentation and start tweaking that driving style. You will be able to see large gains there.