View Single Post
Old 01-13-2015, 07:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Brit
Suzuki Metro Geo Swift

(Not)Swift - '02 Suzuki Swift GLS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
It's funny to see someone driving a 2002 car with a bodystyle that was last sold here in 1994.
If you think that's funny you should take a look at the ones in Pakistan under the Suzuki Cultus nameplate, they are still making and selling them over there! They come with a single-cam, 16 valve, EFI equipped 4-cylinder.

Quote:
Which VW was that? Don't forget that Suzi was designed way back in 1988!
In truth I had two VW's before this and while the Suzuki may have been designed back in 1988 the two VW Polo's I had were based on a platform that was released in 1981 so they could well have started development in the late 70's...

It's little things that made the VW's nicer than the Suzuki; the materials are high quality so silly bits of trim don't break and/or fall off. For example the drivers side window on my Swift has two bits of broken trim; the little tab thing that sticks out and the locating tab in the very top corner are both broken. The later causes the window not to sit in the right spot when it's up so if I don't get the window into exactly the right place the wind makes a noise through it. The window comes out of the track sometimes too. Also the VWs were noticeably quieter at speed in terms of road noise.

Quote:
With the plethora of small, efficient cars that you have available (which we don't get), I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to keep an eye out for something that catches your interest.
Exactly, getting a car here that does 50 MPG (41.6 US) for cheap is very easy, my Swift was spare change over $1,000 with 46k miles and two local previous owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320touring View Post
Welcome, its a slippery slope
Good, we can coast down slopes