View Single Post
Old 07-22-2008, 08:33 AM   #25 (permalink)
Doofus McFancypants
Eco Noob

Red Rover - '01 Nissan Altima GXE
90 day: 30.07 mpg (US)
Personally - i think it has to be a phased plan .. Each one is to last until the other infrastructure is inplace to replace it...

1 - Clean up what we have (Efficiancy and Emissions wise) There are products what can improve the performance and clean up the emissions of every power plant out there
2 - use what we have ( oil reserved) to curb the dependance on Foreign Oil
3 - Continue to install Wind Turbines ( we have production capacity today)
4 - Start to build a "FEW" Nukes - you cannot beat the power density they produce

these 3 items can impact the oil consumption in the "near" term ( next 20 years)

Meanwhile we are updating CARS to be Electric and Developing True Green power - (Tidal genorators - Solar - Geothermal - Kids on treadmills connected to Genorators - The Matrix - or what ever we can think of)

There are those who are concerned about NUKE safety and the byproducts - I have them on here only as a STEP to get us off of oil while we develop the future technology.
THere are those who DO NOT want to drill more - and i understand - but again this is just a step to curb the demand of foreign Oil.
There are those who do not like the look of Wind turbines.. I am sorry - I have to say to those you cannot have your cake and eat it too. It is clean energy - but it has to be somewhere - "Not in my back yard" is what screwed CA a few years ago - they had no new power genoration for YEARS - but everyone wanted energy - so they had to pay.

Whether Al Gore is a conduit for the creater good- or a political shark playing on our fears to keep himself in the spot light.... if people are thinking about the right things ... maybe we can ACTUALLY DO something this time..

Just my thoughts....
Steve

First Milestone passed - 30 MPG (city) 5/15/08
Best City Tank - 8/31/09- 34.3 MPG (EPA= 20)
Best Highway Tank - 5/20/09 - 36.5 MPG (EPA= 28)
------
In effort to drive less:
Miles NOT driven in 2009 = 648 (Work from home and Alt Transporatation)