View Single Post
Old 01-19-2015, 11:36 PM   #82 (permalink)
synergy
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
My 92 Sentra is a great car with 175k miles when I bought it.

For $300.

7k miles later it's still a great car, but if the transmission blows up tomorrow, I won't spend $1500+ getting it rebuilt.

Your last post did not even mention the odometer readings on those cars you are considering or the potential for them to hit you with a huge repair bill and what you are paying for them will make that repair bill much more agonizing than me tossing a $300 car in the scrap heap.

Comapred to a Yaris with just about the identical mileage as your leased Altima for $6-7k.

Now add two years or another 45k miles to the Yaris. It STILL has barely passed 100k miles and it is still worth probably over $4k.

Do you think pushing one those Vibes over 200k miles is going to mean no repair cost whatsoever?

Good luck with that thinking and I really hope you avoid another upside down ownership experience.

regards
mech

No I dont think he should get a high mile vibe. But if he gets one with 120k on it. He needs the car to last him 18 months. I dont see why a toyota matrix wouldnt be reliable for that period of time.

His ownership experience HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH HIS CAR. What dont you get about that?

IT HAS ZERO TO DO WITH HIS NISSAN ALTIMA. Hes had ZERO issues with it besides his lease terms.

I dont disagree that a yaris isnt a good option. But based on him needing reliable transport for 70 miles for the next 18 months at the lowest total cost I think a 45k mile yaris would be a little too new with a little too few miles to meet his depreciation criteria.

Im guessing in 18 months when he returns the altima and frees up 4-500$ a month he will prob get rid of the car we are talking about and trade it in for something newer.
The Following User Says Thank You to synergy For This Useful Post:
brett701 (01-19-2015)