Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2015, 11:28 PM   #81 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydave View Post
Why don't you take a step back and come up with a top 5 of what cars you do want.
High mpg.
Reliable.
Minimal Depreciation.
Cheap parts if needed.

I was thinking of getting a manual bc/ i figured I had more control over the car and I came to this site wanting to maximize gas mileage out of my car.

My goal is to save money & not look like a dufus doing it.

An Aveo is too small for me. I can't drive a easter egg colored car. I can't have tape on the car holding it together.

A car that will age well. For instance the 4 runner. A businessman can drive around in a 25 year old 4 runner and people think its cool.(obviously I wont get a 4 runner.)

I think the civic is a decent car, but I know certain years have had issues.(2001 and a handful of others)

I want to stay away from the Accord.

I like that engine of the Vibe GT.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-19-2015, 11:36 PM   #82 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
My 92 Sentra is a great car with 175k miles when I bought it.

For $300.

7k miles later it's still a great car, but if the transmission blows up tomorrow, I won't spend $1500+ getting it rebuilt.

Your last post did not even mention the odometer readings on those cars you are considering or the potential for them to hit you with a huge repair bill and what you are paying for them will make that repair bill much more agonizing than me tossing a $300 car in the scrap heap.

Comapred to a Yaris with just about the identical mileage as your leased Altima for $6-7k.

Now add two years or another 45k miles to the Yaris. It STILL has barely passed 100k miles and it is still worth probably over $4k.

Do you think pushing one those Vibes over 200k miles is going to mean no repair cost whatsoever?

Good luck with that thinking and I really hope you avoid another upside down ownership experience.

regards
mech

No I dont think he should get a high mile vibe. But if he gets one with 120k on it. He needs the car to last him 18 months. I dont see why a toyota matrix wouldnt be reliable for that period of time.

His ownership experience HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH HIS CAR. What dont you get about that?

IT HAS ZERO TO DO WITH HIS NISSAN ALTIMA. Hes had ZERO issues with it besides his lease terms.

I dont disagree that a yaris isnt a good option. But based on him needing reliable transport for 70 miles for the next 18 months at the lowest total cost I think a 45k mile yaris would be a little too new with a little too few miles to meet his depreciation criteria.

Im guessing in 18 months when he returns the altima and frees up 4-500$ a month he will prob get rid of the car we are talking about and trade it in for something newer.
The Following User Says Thank You to synergy For This Useful Post:
brett701 (01-19-2015)
Old 01-19-2015, 11:47 PM   #83 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

And just trying to put some figures with that yaris equation.

if you start with a $6900 yaris with 46k miles on the clock and over the two years add 80k and it now has 120k and its 2017 What do you think a 10 year old yaris with 120k on it is worth? Right now I found one with 174k for $4400 Id guess in two years with less miles youd end up with a similar price or lets say 4k. Including normal repairs of say 500$ hes now in total down 3,400 for using the yaris for the 2 years.

If he gets a 2004/2005 vibe with 120-140k for 4k and drives it for the same 80k and has to put in double the maintenance of 1000 what do you think that car would be worth in 2 years? I found a 2004 vibe with 215k on it for 3200. Lets say $3000. He still comes out ahead 1k.

Hes also stated not wanting to drive an Chevy Aveo because of its size. I dont think the yaris is much bigger.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:56 AM   #84 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Where did you come up with 80k in 2 years. From what I have read, it seems like he is 22 months into a 36 month lease and his mileage allowance of 15k a year is used up.

I think assuming he is going to drive the same amount as the altima, in 22 months that would be another 45 k miles.

He has not corrected that ASSumption, but I see no reason to think he will now drive 80k in 24 months compared to a known 45 in 22 ( again not corrected by the post author).

I also think your estimateof total repair costs in a 45k mile car versus one with 200k, projected into the future is not going to pan out unless he is seriously lucky on the high mileage option.

If he is still adamant about the color of the vehicle, versus the real issues which he has, for whatever reason, chosen to ignore until they reach a critical mass, then just bite the bullet and keep driving the Altima paying only the mileage penalty over what he has paid until this point. Considering ALL the costs involved in an additional car is only adding to his problem. He has to insure and pay every other costs anyway.

Replacing the car with the Yaris option, does what for his overall costs of driving? He still has to fork over the 400 plus a month for the driveway anchor.
Pay the 400 more (in overmileage charges) and then turn it in in 14 months.

regards
mech

Last edited by user removed; 01-20-2015 at 08:04 AM..
Old 01-20-2015, 08:22 AM   #85 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 40.02 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Looking at some of your earlier statements I wonder if you'd be happy with a VW diesel? Even older models still look good, so you have the eye candy for satisfying shallow customers. Maintenance requirements aren't small and repair issues can be significant but there are some serious winners to be had, and of course the fanbase is vigorous and helpful. Even aircooled fans will give you a fingertip wave - some of them.

The long distance cruise, 65+ miles, is a strong tick in favor of a diesel. It'd be pretty happy tooling along at highway revs.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:44 AM   #86 (permalink)
Not bad for a machine

Maechunbu - Retired - '00 Kia Sephia 1.8I4 16VDOHC
Last 3: 45.28 mpg (US)

Slasher - '96 Chevy Corsica 2.2L 3speedauto
Duct Tape Aero Crew
Team Chevy
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)
I agree Mech, I have a $500 car and if I need a new engine tomorrow I could probably find a parts car with a decent motor for $500. Take out the engine / transmission and scrap the car for $300. Its going to take a while for our cars to cost even close to $4K.

Old 01-20-2015, 11:11 AM   #87 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
Looking at some of your earlier statements I wonder if you'd be happy with a VW diesel? Even older models still look good, so you have the eye candy for satisfying shallow customers. Maintenance requirements aren't small and repair issues can be significant but there are some serious winners to be had, and of course the fanbase is vigorous and helpful. Even aircooled fans will give you a fingertip wave - some of them.

The long distance cruise, 65+ miles, is a strong tick in favor of a diesel. It'd be pretty happy tooling along at highway revs.
I wouldn't mind a VW diesel. That was my initial interest because of the excellent fuel economy and it isn't that bad looking of a car.

I was concerned because of the track record that VW has from what I've read regarding the reliability. I don't know how to spot a good one or a bad one. If i were to buy one I'd bring it to a mechanic to get inspected. I've read of sludge and other unique things with the car. Something about needing special oil from Europe or something like that.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:19 AM   #88 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Sentra @ 37 mpg X 1.4 surcharge for diesel = 49.8 MPG measured in cost per mile for fuel.
Either the Sentra at 37 MPG or a diesel car at 49.8 MPG cost the same per mile for fuel.
Last gas here was 1.809, diesel $2.799.

regards
mech
The Following User Says Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
brett701 (01-20-2015)
Old 01-20-2015, 12:25 PM   #89 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett701 View Post
I wouldn't mind a VW diesel. That was my initial interest because of the excellent fuel economy and it isn't that bad looking of a car.

I was concerned because of the track record that VW has from what I've read regarding the reliability. I don't know how to spot a good one or a bad one. If i were to buy one I'd bring it to a mechanic to get inspected. I've read of sludge and other unique things with the car. Something about needing special oil from Europe or something like that.
TDIs are reliable... Vws have electrical issues but the TDI itself is a rock.

And the only issue is that they all have 150-200k miles. None seem reasonable around you.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:00 PM   #90 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Sludge

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy View Post
TDIs are reliable... Vws have electrical issues but the TDI itself is a rock.

And the only issue is that they all have 150-200k miles. None seem reasonable around you.

Volkswagen AG has agreed to pay maintenance costs under a proposed settlement in a class-action lawsuit over sludge-damaged engines in 479,768 VW and Audi models. - See more at: VW to cover maintenance costs for sludge-damaged engines | Autoweek

According to court documents, the settlement affects 1997-2004 Audi A4 models and 1998-2004 VW Passat models with 1.8-liter turbocharged engines. - See more at: VW to cover maintenance costs for sludge-damaged engines | Autoweek

Reply  Post New Thread