View Single Post
Old 01-20-2015, 12:07 AM   #49 (permalink)
IamIan
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
OK, who would want a Tesla electric drive?
Not me... far too much power than I would ever need / use ... but maybe someone else wants that much kw.

Only type of person / situation that it might fit with would be someone who wanted 270-310kw etc ... BEV DIY project ... but still seems like a hassle to me... Tesla definitely won't help you do it.

Quote:
All of the Teslas on the road today would not still be under the factory warranty, right?
AFAIK ... 8 years 125,000 miles

Quote:
What is the return policy of the salvage yard on a battery shipped to Europe?
Does the buyer have to pay freight both ways?
I was told 120 days .. and yes buyer picks it up .. or pays all shipping .. taxes .. etc.

Quote:
Does the seller even have the capability to charge the battery or test the capacity of the battery?
I doubt it.

My experience with other junk yards is that 99% of them do not have a firm grasp of battery chemistry ... nor equipment to properly test them .. nor a desire to do such work... 99% are only motivated enough to sell it... In this case they did not comment to me about what the person in Europe paid .. but seems to me whoever it was made a big gamble ... Whatever the price$ was ... +Shipping .. +Taxes .. only 120 day warranty ... that's a big gamble.

Quote:
How can they warranty what they can not replace and probably can not repair?
My only guess would be a 'refund' .. but .. to be 100% certain it would be best to get it in writing ... and a important point you pointed out above .. less all the lost freight charges ... to get it in the first place ... and possibly to return it.

I've had to deal with that very kind of 'warranty' coverage from some vendors at work ... pay for shipping to get it .. pay for shipping to return defective product... They charge the fee .. and issue the 'credit' after they get the return.

- - - - - - - -

Another thing to keep in mind about buying parts from a junk yard on a car that was on the road for less than 1 year ... and cost over $60,000 to buy ... The insurance company looked at the 'repair' cost , and did not choose to repair it ... or the car would not have ended up in a Junk yard in the first place ... Sure the used ~1 year old car with ~10k miles on it is worth a little less ... but still ... not likely to be minor ... nor superficial damage.

Far worse than the 'storage shed' brick , that just needs a 'compatible' battery.