View Single Post
Old 01-20-2015, 12:13 AM   #14 (permalink)
synergy
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoneson View Post
So this model has nothing to do with buses, children or schools. These items are there to deceive the public into thinking that this scheme is for the common good......for the children.....for education......for safety..... You can eliminate the buses altogether and just install battery packs at locations to be charged at night and discharged during the day. And these locations no not have to be at schools.

And as Astro mentions (thank you Astro) the remaining model relies solely on the local electric company charge structure which could (and would) change to benefit the electric company if there was money to be made. Competition is a good thing and somewhat predictable and would eliminate this model's effectiveness in making money "for the children".

Bottom line here is the government knows nothing about effectively running a business and NEEDS to lie about it in order to sell the idea.

I was only replying to his mocking of how charging something then discharging it at a later time makes no sense.... because it does.
But not on a moving platform like a bus, It would make sense stationary near large renewable resources.

But as far as the original idea goes, I dont think its as ridiculous as your saying. If they can power the buses with electricity I would think it would be much cheaper than ICE buses. Its being done with alot of fleets currently. Maybe CNG or LNG in areas?

But with EV buses they can be used for a whole lot more than just school needs. You want to talk about business. How much do you think Barrett Jackson spent on mobile generators for lights at their Scottsdale auction? Those diesel generators can be cheap and neither is diesel. A local school system could "rent" buses for these purposes MAKING money.