View Single Post
Old 01-20-2015, 11:11 AM   #87 (permalink)
brett701
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
Looking at some of your earlier statements I wonder if you'd be happy with a VW diesel? Even older models still look good, so you have the eye candy for satisfying shallow customers. Maintenance requirements aren't small and repair issues can be significant but there are some serious winners to be had, and of course the fanbase is vigorous and helpful. Even aircooled fans will give you a fingertip wave - some of them.

The long distance cruise, 65+ miles, is a strong tick in favor of a diesel. It'd be pretty happy tooling along at highway revs.
I wouldn't mind a VW diesel. That was my initial interest because of the excellent fuel economy and it isn't that bad looking of a car.

I was concerned because of the track record that VW has from what I've read regarding the reliability. I don't know how to spot a good one or a bad one. If i were to buy one I'd bring it to a mechanic to get inspected. I've read of sludge and other unique things with the car. Something about needing special oil from Europe or something like that.