View Single Post
Old 07-22-2008, 01:35 PM   #39 (permalink)
dremd
EV OR DIESEL

FarFarfrumpumpen - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS Premium

Quorra - '12 Tesla Model S P85
Send a message via AIM to dremd
Quote:
Originally Posted by metromizer View Post
I've reupholstered two hundred or so sets of 1960's vw seats (in a past life). The slits for the tubes sound good, you could control depth with a wood block fixture and make the cuts with an electric carving knife. I would cover the tubes with cotton muslin attached with uplostery glue. It will keep the tubes where you put them, muslin is easy to work with.
Any reason for the Muslin over gluing the tubes direct to the foam? (Probably are)

Quote:
Tip for getting the covers back on wrinkle free: Warm them up in your clothes dryer, cover the molder foam buns with an opened up dry cleaning bag (single layer). Attach with upholstery glue as necessary.
Thanks; the covers are surprisingly easy on the MKIV; I did mess up more than 1 aircooled VW seat though . . .

Quote:
The Kool Vest i posted a link to was on Jim Maher's site uses cool pack, but I once saw this vest with sewn in tygon tubing... maybe in the back of National Dragster, Berhendt's, Racer's Wholesale, or Speedway catalogs
They are fairly popular now. I've worn one at a track day before (borrowed). Some football players wear them, most NASCAR etc.
Infact I saw a show on discovery where they were manufaturing them. LOOKED like my blue silicone tubing.

What is Tygon Tubing?

Quote:
I think you are onto something and can't wait to read what you come up with. My Metro doesn't have a/c but I've gotten spoiled over the years with ac in my other recent commuter cars. When it gets over 100 F I melt on the way home. It would be great to have the option to use the icemaker at work to partially fill a cooler for use in some inexpensive little system for the ride home.
Thank you; I can't wait either!

Quote:
OMG! talk about burning your arse, both figuratively AND literally! To add insult to injury, there's the prospect of running the engine out of oil at the same time...
Oh man did bmw techs hate/ love changing all of them out. Sad part is they still work the same way; just better heat exchanger.
Gone 2013 Nissan LEAF SV
2012 Nissan LEAF SV
6 speed ALH TDI Swapped in to a 2003 Jetta Wagon