View Single Post
Old 01-26-2015, 10:01 PM   #86 (permalink)
COcyclist
Aero Wannabe

TDi - '04 VW Golf
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 53.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbeaver View Post
Hello Cocyclist. You wrote the title of my answer. I agree in general on yr opinion. But would like to have facts to sustain it. Did you make a test with a trip computer installed and on the same tract of road, keeping all conditions "ceteris paribus" but EGR? That is the only valid way. Otherwise it is just a suspition based on a (biased) opinion.

In my car I did the same and the effect was opposite. See my fuel log. I wanted to improve FE, disconnected EGR and FE went worse. There are documented reasons for that. Then I reconnect it back, and FE improved.
Oldbeaver, You are correct, my methods are not scientific and as I mentioned, I changed the thermostat at the same time. So it is impossible for me to say which caused the change or if it is the combination of both.

I couldn't tell which diesel you were experimenting with but if I recall correctly some TDI owners have suffered worse mileage by disconnecting EGR without addressing the factory tuning parameters. If you are interesting I can try to find the link on TDIclub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
The power needed to push an object through a fluid increases as the cube of the velocity. Mechanical friction increases as the square, so increasing speed requires progressively more power.