View Single Post
Old 01-31-2015, 01:02 AM   #73 (permalink)
Striker2237
EcoModding Apprentice

Silver Magnum - '03 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie
90 day: 11.43 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
When someone starts tailgating me I just let my speed vary enough to get them to pass. Since most of the roads I drive are 4 lanes it usually does not become an issue. On two lane roads I just P&G if they want to follow too close.

I have had them pass me in some dangerous and illegal places, but if they pass I just shift to neutral and let them get by with as little drama as possible.

I've had a couple that were so oblivious to anything other than staying 2-3 car lengths behind me, on a 4 lane highway with no other traffic close, that I coasted from the speed limit (45mph) down to below 25 before they finally went around me.

One nice thing about coasting, while idiots will blow by you only to slam on their brakes at the red light 200 yards ahead, at least the coasting reduces the chance of them actually running into your rear end.

regards
mech
I normally tap my brake pedal like a madman to make them think I'm panic braking (not enough to engage but enough to turn the brake lights on, pedal triggers them if even lightly touched) and if that fails I just let off the gas until they realize we are moving 20 in a 45 and blow by in the other lane lol! O yeah! Two days ago the roads here were very bad and I was moving 35 in the 55 section of my daily drive due to drifting snow and ice and bad visibility and slight rain mixed in with the snow....you get the point. Well I was in 4x4 lock with the rear diff also locked and being careful as I know the banked turns around where I am turn into giant slides and this honda accord is just TAILING MY @$$ like 15 ft and moving into the other lane to try to see though the snow if there was a place to pass me! She eventually got so pissed off I was 20 under she tried to blow past me and spun out, you would think when you are following a huge truck that is acting very cautious in bad weather one would slow down but apparently she must have thought her accord was super-mega non-slip FWD magic. I normally recover anyone I find on my drive who has fallen off the road or is out of gas with the recovery gear I carry with me but since she was acting like a b**** she got left in the ditch, I did however call it in on CH9 and someone got to her about 10 min after that (no reason to be totally mean....) I will admit its HILARIOUS to brake check someone in a 55 by dropping 20mph in one second....they back right the hell off but I don't do this anymore with the big brakes as this probably would make them rear-end me.